September 19, 2022
Star SU Announces Extended Length Solid Carbide Single Flute Gundrill
Farmington Hills, Mich. Sept. 19, 2022– Star SU, part of the Star Cutter family of companies, announces its single flute extended length gundrills, which are custom-built drills per application that can be produced in lengths up to 24.0“ [610mm) and effective tool lengths up to 100 x D. These drills are designed to machine straight deep holes and hold excellent finishes in virtually any material.
In real-world applications, these gundrills have numerous benefits including:
- Higher chip load capability, helping reduce cycle time
- Reduced drift, which allows excellent TIR results from start to exit
- Increased resistance to wind-up forces, helping reduce premature tool wear
- Increased distances for unsupported lengths over traditional gun drills
- Ability to recoat tool after regrinding if manufactured without a steel driver
In a field study on an aluminum cylinder head, the application of the extended drill was able to achieve a tool life of 2,000 parts per drill when machining holes of 8 mm diameter at 5,000 RPM in the cut and a feed rate of 1200mm/minute. Prior to the deep hole gundrill operation, there were two twist drill passes with the gundrill connecting the center portion of this feature in the head.
For more information on Star SU’s gundrills, visit Gundrills – Star-SU.