April 30, 2020
Star SU Solid Carbide Gundrills: Medical Instrument and Device Deep Hole Drilling
HOFFMAN ESTATES, IL., April 30, 2020 – With our modern manufacturing processes and state-of-the-art automation, Star is producing world class performing Solid Carbide Gundrills that are used for machining your challenging medical grade materials.
Star Single Flute Solid Carbide Gundrills are specially engineered and manufactured to meet your part print requirements for medical devices and instruments with proven results in drilling the complete range of titanium and stainless steel materials.
“In many cases, our small diameter gundrills have resulted with our product providing our customers with excellent cost savings. This was driven from tool life and throughput improvements, including several case studies that were done that resulted in doubling production capability,” says Jamie Dunneback, Star SU Round Tool Sales Manager.
- Titanium (6Al-4V) case study – tool life improvement from 700 to 1700 parts.
- 440 Stainless case study – tool life improvement from 110 to 220 parts.
“Optimization of the Single Flute Solid Carbide Gundrill manufacturing process has been a key factor, added Dunneback. We have looked at everything in the process, from selecting the appropriate grade of carbide, surface finish, edge prep and coating. All of which are essential for success in the medical sector.”
- Selected grades of carbide
- Superior surface finish on the tool
- Special drill geometries
- Special edge preparation on the cutting edge
- Selected advance tool coatings
- Coolant hole diameter size range staring at 0.700mm [0.028”]
Designed, manufactured, and serviced in the USA.